Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Dutch Country

Though it may seem like some sort of contradiction, I was actually raised on classic country music. You heard me right, me, a New Englander by birth, raised on country music.

I've got a pretty eclectic taste in music, but these are some great classic country tunes that everyone needs in their iPod. It's kind of a starter kit... if you like these, there's lots more for you.

Merle Haggard - Working Man Blues
I imagine Merle, who's pushing seventy, has had his gruff, no BS, country music voice since he was a teenager (much in the way 2007 NBA draft pick Greg Oden was born with a beard). Working Man Blues is a great song to play after a long day at the office/coal mine.

Willie Nelson - Whiskey River
Drinking to forget something painful. I know - it's a novel premise for a country song, but this is probably the best real drinking song there is.

Waylon Jennings - Good Hearted Woman
A song in praise of Waylon's wife, who put up with all the trouble he made and still remained resolute in their marriage.
blog comments powered by Disqus