Friday, October 24, 2008

Update: Yellow Pages / Getting Greener

a pile of pagesImage by GDStinx via FlickrUPDATE: I posted back in June about the abhorrent stacks of yellow pages distributed to my apartment building.

Turns out that I was not alone in my ire for this blatant misuse of trees. One non-profit is finally taking some steps to clean up the industry's act.

Thanks to Siegs for sending on this link -
http://www.yellowpagesgoesgreen.org/ - which allows you to opt out of receiving these relics of the paper age.

Like my post in June, I'm sure this will irk the PR guy who buzzed me about the continuing relevance of this relic of the paper age.

-----------------------------------


My foyer was littered this weekend with stacks upon stacks of phonebooks. In today's internet led world, few people need these relics of information. (E.g. My grandmother.) I don't see why people who do genuinely need these books can't simply opt in (or vice versa). I think many of us would prefer that to the paper and fuel wasted by this dying advertising model.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

kenc said...

"Dying advertising model"??? Businesses advertise in these books because they are used, and they do make their phone ring. They provide a medium for MILLIONS of small businesses to cost effectively promote their businesses. If you hadn’t noticed Dutch, small business is the biggest driver in our society, they employ the vast majority of the people that work, they provide a wide range of products and services that people need, and they are the ones most in need of some marketing help – which is where the Yellow Pages industry comes in. Next time you go visit a local small business Dutch, ask them where the bulk of their business comes from. You may be a little surprised – IT’S THE PRINT YELLOW PAGES

Dutch said...

Thanks for the comment Ken. That's a great point.

Anonymous said...

I live in a high rise..there are approximately 500 Yellow Pages books in the basement. NOT used and not NEEDED. It makes me so mad to see them there.. NO ONE uses them. Waste of paper, time and fuel to drop them off. Ever hear of the Yellow Pages online??? Use it!!!