Sunday, July 13, 2008

July Shows

July 2 - Drive By Truckers
These guys played like their name suggests, playing straight through for over two hours with barely a pause. It was a pretty amazing show, if not for the musical endurance, than for the amount of Jack Daniels passed around by band members. They sounded great, playing a few favorites from their latest, "Brighter Than Creation's Dark," and switching between singers throughout. One singer (Patterson Hood) sounds like Don Henley with a drawl, the other more (Mike Cooley) like your traditional southern crooner.

Did I mention they never switched or re-tuned guitars? I've never seen that happen, let alone for a 2 hour show.

Great show, but I want my eardrums back.



July 12 - Mark KnopflerBrothers in Arms album cover

I've had this conversation before... "Who is Mark Knopfler?" Quite frankly, he's one of the best living guitarists, and better known as the former front man for Dire Straits. Legend.

It was great to finally see Mark in concert, as he dazzles with his effortless playing and crafted guitar tone. They played many favorites, as well as some new songs from his most recent album.

Here's what I remember of the playlist (in order). As I said, there were a bunch of new songs which I do not know...

What It Is
Romeo and Juliet
Sultans of Swing
Sailing to Philadelphia
Telegraph Road
Brothers in Arms
So Far Away (Encore)
He also played 4 guitars: one steel, Telecaster, Les Paul, Stratocaster, and one I didn't recognize, which is a custom Pensa.







Zemanta Pixie
blog comments powered by Disqus