Saturday, November 3, 2007

Shuffling Toward Ecstasy

(did i really just paraphrase a Sarah McLaughlin album title?)

It's well established that Apple's Ipod has revolutionized the way in which we consume music. (Sorry Hegs and Bergen... it's not the Zune). I figured it was my time for some necessary approbation.

On my daily commute, I've got my Ipod feeding into my car's soundsystem. I recently switched my car Ipod back to my 60 gig one (from my much smaller shuffle), and it's been quite a reunion. Over time, I've accumulated just about 45 gigs on this Ipod. I've got so much music on my Ipod that I don't even know all the stuff I have. This is both a blessing and a curse.

It's a curse because going through my artist/album/song list is about as fun as searching a library by Dewey decimal numbers. The other downside is that, when on shuffle, the randomizing divine hand (not yours, Mr. Jobs) will pick something like Toxic by Britney Spears or songs from The Notebook soundtrack.

The upside, on the other hand, is tremendous. Most of the time, I'll get a golden nugget from my Ipod . . . a song or an artist that I love, but haven't listened to in a long time. It's kind of like seeing one of your best friends from the past at the grocery store... only there's no awkward small talk or disingenuous promises to get together.

That said, my shuffle has inspired a new column idea for this blog.

Here are this week's Ipod Shuffle Golden Nuggets:

Lounge Act by Nirvana - I completely forgot how much I missed Nirvana. This song harkens back to middle-school pseudo-parental defiance. Like most Nirvana songs, I can't really decipher the lyrics. Even upon reading the lyrics in the CD jacket, I still have no idea what they mean. Kobain was quite the enigma. OR, maybe he was just on a lot of drugs. Probably the latter.



Strange Condition by Pete Yorn - Another moody song my a moody songwriter. That is probably a statement of the obvious, but every time I hear a Pete Yorn song, I imagine a guy sitting alone at a bar, choking down some Cutty' and puffing on a red, trying to put his past behind him. Despite the blue tones of his music, he writes some pretty cool songs.




America F*#& Yeah from Team America - One of my favorite comedy anthems of all time. The best part of the song, besides the excessive swearing, is the end, where the singer essentially lists various things about America, to which a chorus exclaims, "F-Yeah!". I love the silence after "Books!"



It's probably not a good thing that I heard this right before getting to work. Let's just hope none of my conversations were peppered with an occasional "F- Yeah!"

0 comments: